Wednesday, April 11, 2007

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH


“Quiet is bliss” is a term that is uncommon in our society. From the moment we wake up to the time our head hits our pillow, we are surrounded by noise. We have radios in the shower, morning T.V. news while eating breakfast, car radio while driving to work, the work noise, the car radio driving home from work, evening news while eating dinner, and T.V. for the rest of the evening. We have no quiet time to speak of. In order to have quiet, most people have to put it in our day planner.

I personally have never thought about how much noise is in my daily life until this week. While reading Experiencing God this past weekend, the Spirit of God laid it on my heart to fast this week. There are different types of fasting so I’m fasting from different things (food, caffeine, T.V./radio, etc.) this week. On Monday, I choose to fast from T.V. and radio and man it was awesome. Instead of watching morning news, I read some additional chapters in Proverbs (my book of choice when seeking wisdom and discernment), and I drove to work with no radio or Worship CD playing. Instead, I spent my time praying. During lunch, I started to read a book I bought last month, but haven’t started yet. After a day of work, the silence driving home was like a breath of fresh air. I was able to think about what Teresa and I am seeking wisdom and discernment for. There was no noise to distract me from talking with my heavenly Father. After eating dinner and talking with Teresa, I went into the bedroom and read more of the book. I read up until bed time. I spent a whole day with unless noise in my life; it was awesome.

Monday showed me that we need to go back to the basis of quiet time. Our quiet time is when God is able to talk with us. How is he suppose to talk with us (in His still small voice) if we constantly have noise? I enjoyed the quiet time so much that I’ve stopped watching morning news so I can spend a few more minutes reading my Bible. I’ve stopped listening to the radio in the morning and talk with my heavenly Father while going to work. And I enjoy the quiet on my way home. I’m limiting my T.V. watching in the evening so I can read more. Some of you who are reading this maybe thinking, “Duh!”. You may have already been doing this. If so; good for you. If you’re like I was, you hit the ground each morning with radio, T.V., and general noise until the time you go back to bed for a night of sleep. And you lie there trying to turn off your brain so you can fall asleep but can’t because the noise (T.V., radio, etc.) has given you things that won’t go away.

God has designed us for having quiet time. He wants us to spend this time with Him. This is when we can talk with Him, and through His word talks back. In quiet, there is peace. Nothing to distract you from the One who created us and loves us.

Try to spend some time in quiet. It will leave you refreshed. Thanks for reading, and until next time grow where God has planted you.


No comments: