Thursday, November 08, 2007


In The Image of The Father


I was looking in a mirror the other day and saw my father looking back at me. As I get older I’m starting to look more like my earthly dad. I do have traits of my mom like my red hair, but for the most part, I’m starting to look more like my dad. I know that over the last few years I’m acting more like my father according to my wife; especially if I say or do something weird. She says, “You’re acting like your dad;” where I reply, “thank you.” As a child, I learned how to react to situations by watching my dad. I learned a lot of behaviors from him (good, bad, or indifferent).

I think that same should be said with our Heavenly Father. Since I am a child of God because of what Christ did on the cross, I have His spiritual DNA. As I grow older in the faith, I start to see Him in the way I act and talk. When I’m close to Him, my reactions are the way I see Him react in His Word (the Bible).

Most of who we are is set in our DNA; such as our physical appearance (hair color, eyes color, height, etc.). Our behavior is affected by our environment for the most part. Do I have a quick temper because of my red hair or the fact that over my life time I saw my father react with a quick temper more times than not? I do have a quick temper when not in the spiritual, but when I’m in the spirit I’m long suffering because of what I’ve learned by reading Psalm and Proverbs as a teenager. I’m who I am as a person due to a combination of my DNA and what I’ve learned by watching. The same is said as a Christian. I’m who I am in Christ because of Him rewriting my DNA and what I learned by reading His Word.

As Christians, we should be all about learning to be like Christ. That’s the meaning of the word “Christian;” Christ-like. He has given us His DNA when He drew us to Himself. When Christ saves us, He makes us part of His family. When we read the Bible, we see how He acts and reacts to different situations. He is the ultimate example of what we should be while on earth.

If you are like me, as a child I wanted to be just like my dad. I remember putting on his boots (huge compared to my feet) and walking around the house. I wanted to spend time with him and he with me. I remember dad watching the “Looney Tunes” with me. I truly thought that he loved watching them as much as I did, but years later he told me he wanted to be with me so he watched the show with me. As Christians, we are given God’s DNA and shown how to act in Him. Just as it took years of spending time with my dad for me to have a lot of his mannerisms, it takes time spending time with Christ to start to see Him in us. But before you know it, the similarities are undeniable.

No comments: