Monday, June 07, 2010

Little Things Mean A Lot



It’s been a difficult week for me. We had a family leave the church for only God truly knows why. There are at lease 6 reasons it could be. The man was involved with the youth (as a helper) so he told them yesterday and then left. That’s part of being in the ministry seeing people leave for good and/or bad reasons. I tell myself that it’s not about them and it’s not about me; it’s all about bringing honor and glory to God the Father.

I just talked with a different gentleman whom I haven’t seen in a few weeks. He and his family are attending another church now. He wasn’t part of any ministry. He was part of our Leadership Training program. He was at one time very faithful to the men’s group but I did notice him missing more lately. Again, only God truly knows why they left but this one hurts a little more just because he was part of the men’s group and I was thinking he could take the group over for me down the road. Again, it’s all part of being in the ministry.

The week wasn’t all bad. Teresa shared with me that the first session of our Women’s Ministry small group had over 18 ladies in it last night. The group is so big that they have to meet at church instead of a house going forward. Maybe, the group can split into two or three more groups but that will be a little further down the road. That is a blessing.

This morning while I was thinking about the two families who left Common Ground, praising God for the women’s small group blessing, trying to get my Monday morning stuff done for my bill paying job, sending e-mails to the other Elders about Father’s Day which is also Baby Dedication and Children’s Promotion Sunday planning I had a little reminder of just how blessed I am. Teresa called asking me where something was but before she hung up, I talked with Ripley on the phone. I heard breathing and her little noises she makes and it almost sounds like she said, “Hi.” It still puts a smile on my face thinking about my adorable 6.5 month old daughter. Little things do mean a lot.

Even though ministry can be hard (and it is), God is always the One who does. I’m just called to follow His lead. He’s always encourages and empowers me to do what He has called me to do and be. Remember that.

No comments: