Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Ripley Story



It’s been a while since I posted anything on my blog. I’ve been very busy with family, work, college course work, and of course my ministry with Common Ground but I had to share what happened last night.

After dinner, Teresa and I were talking about the week’s schedule (another crazy busy week for the Thomasson clan). We decided I would go ahead and cut the grass last night. After I cut the front yard, I opened our gate to cut the back yard and saw Teresa and Ripley. Teresa took Ripley out with her to clear the yard of stuff. We have a patch of bare ground where I dug up a tree root last fall (it’s the future home of Ripley’s turtle sandbox) and I saw Teresa had allowed Ripley to play in the dirt. Its fine with me; Ripley loves the out doors like her father and grandfather. When Ripley saw me, she had this huge smile on her face. She walked toward me and I walked away from the lawnmower for a hug; I love me Ripley hugs. As I got closer, I saw Ripley had dirt all over her face; it was adorable. I got my min-bear hug from my little girl. After the yard was done, Teresa gave me a cup of water and I took a shower. The plan was for me to take my shower, and then Teresa would shower with Ripley.

After my shower, I came downstairs and Riley was sitting at the dining room table; in her mommy’s chair. She was trying to open the box that has her ABC flash cards. She had torn the box trying to open it. Teresa was finishing up the dishes so I pulled out a chair and sat beside her. I took out the flash cards and started to show her the cards and Ripley told me what each letter was. You see, after our dinner time, we show Ripley her flash cards and she tells us the letters. They are not in order; she knows is ABC’s. She enjoys this so much that she wanted to do it on her own. Ripley loves learning. It amazes me and I am so thankful God is allowing Teresa the time to stay with Ripley during the day so she can teach her. Ripley is 2 ½ and she knows her ABC’s and can count up to 20. We’re working on colors and shapes.

I’m not saying Ripley is a genius, but I am so thankful she loves to learn. I pray that she continues to grow in mind and body. I pray that she will ask Jesus to save her at an early age so she can serve Him all her days. Teresa and I tell her, “Daddy loves you; Mommy loves you; and most importantly, never forget, God loves you.” We say this to her all the time.

No comments: