Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fun for One Person Could be Weird to Another

In 2000, I discovered I weighted 220 pounds so I went on a diet; I lost 45 pounds. From 2000 to 2005, I gained about half of it back. In 2006, I put myself on a diet (again) and added going to the gym; I lost what I gained. My exercise routine at the time was walking on the treadmill for an hour. When I lost my weight, I kept going to the gym and added weight training and swimming. I went from walking on the treadmill to running outside. In 2007, Teresa told me that the route I would run was equal to a 5K so I started training to run in my first one in 2008. My first 5K was in April of 2008 and I never looked back. In that same year, I race an 8K mud race and the Va Beach Rock-n-Roll half marathon. The following year, I ran in another half marathon and my first extreme trail race (“Muddy Buddy”). I enjoy running in regular foot races but I’m starting to love these extreme trail races. In 2011, I’ve only done one street race and I’ve done two extreme trail races with another one planned for October.

After completing the Merrell Down and Dirty on August 28, I sent this note to some friends;

“After this weekend, I wanted to register for a race called “Tough Mudder” but I saw that it was all full. The race is Oct 22-23 and it was full by July 7. I may try to do it next year if they come back to VA. The good thing about it being full is that I won't be missing church because the race is in Wintergreen, VA. I was talking with one of the directors here at work about how I wanted to do one more extreme race and he told me about "Warrior Dash." I looked it up and I've told Teresa I want to do this one. It's just south of Richmond and it's being held on a Tuesday (Oct 1). If Teresa agrees, I'll take a few days off from work and we'll go up as a family. I look at it this way, I can do these things now and one day I won't be able to but I'll have the memories.

Remember, pain is weakness leaving the body. Sanity is over rated! PEACE!”

The Warrior Dash has obstacles that are little more intense than what was in the Down and Dirty but I think it will be fun. Below are some photos from my last race. Remember, what is fun to me might make others wonder if I’m crazy. The answer is yes but sanity is overrated.

No comments: