Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dedication and Focus



My sister-in-law’s (Beth) boyfriend is a gym owner and a bodybuilder. Randy has won some bodybuilding contests and is training for one that will be held in Florence KY in March. Being a bodybuilder takes a lot of dedication and focus. Since Randy is training, he can’t have any carbs or sugar and a week before the contest he will need to limit his water intake to maximize his muscle definition. In my mind, there are bodybuilders and muscleheads. A bodybuilder is an athlete who has to balance diet and weight training along with aerobic workouts (i.e. jogging, biking, and/or swimming). A musclehead just works out with the weights with no or little thought of diet and cross training. I have a lot of respect for bodybuilders.

I wish I had the dedication and focus to be one. My M.O. over the years have been working out for 3 to 4 months and stopping for 2 months and starting back. The last year I have stopped this M.O. and have been going to the gym 5 times a week. My body is starting to look better and my lifts have improved. I’m more interested in a well rounded health and exercise program so I do more aerobic then lifting. I lift weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays (doing a full body program) with swimming and stationary biking on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and jogging on Saturdays and Sundays. I’m going up on my bench but right now I’m lifting around 210 pounds. I’m up around 110 pounds in my arm curls. I’m doing better because I’ve worked out straight now since last March and have been swimming constantly since June (I’m up to 30 minutes straight in the pool doing laps) and have run in multiple running races. I feel good.

I say all this to say that being a bodybuilder takes dedication and focus in the same way a Christian should have dedication and focus in their walk with Christ. There are Christians who have a walk (Bible reading, prayer, and church attendance) the same way I used to exercise. They are hit or miss and they haven’t grown in their Christian maturity. They are like a guy who is still bench pressing 50 pounds after exercising for years. Their M.O. could be reading their Bible for a solid 3 months and then something distracts them and they go several months without reading; could be getting up early for praying time for several months with one morning they decide to sleep in and before they know it months go by; and/or could have good church attendance until summer comes and they stop attending church. All these items are needed for a person to grow in their faith in Christ. Leaving any of these items out is like a guy who looks like he’s in a great shape (looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime) but can’t jog more than a mile before needing to stop for air. You look good and sound good but when trials come your way, you are derailed.

I mean not to come off judgmental but the Bible calls us to hold our brothers and sisters in Christ accountable. We have way too many Christians who are effete. They fall for the same sins time and again. In order that we constantly grow in our walk with Christ we must take note of the dedication and focus of a bodybuilder. We must train (read our Bible, pray, and attend church regularly) daily. We must avoid the spiritly carbs and sugars that will rob us of our hard work. Spiritly carbs and sugars can be allowing your eyes (and mind) to wonder where they shouldn’t, being part of things a Christian should have no business being part of, and the like.

Just as bodybuilders have workout partners, we as Christians should have partners. Another word for workout partners is accountability partners. An accountability partner will help us keep focused on the things that are well pleasing to God. An accountability partner will ask the hard questions; how’s your daily Bible reading going, are you praying, and how are your relationships? This is set up not to make you feel bad or like a loser but to help you and encourage you to get to the next level. This is like a workout partner helping their buddy go from bench pressing 300 pounds to bench pressing 400 pounds; by encouraging and giving them a hand when needed.

We (me included) need to be better at being dedicated and focused on our growth as Christians. God left us here for a reason; to further His kingdom. Let’s be a spiritual bodybuilder and grow lean spiritual muscles that we can flex for God and bring Him the glory.

No comments: