Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Love Worth Having



I’m reading “A Love Worth Giving” by Max Lucado. The book is a study of 1 Corinthians 13 or the “Love Chapter” as I call it. I always enjoy reading Max Lucado books. They are full of good information wrapped around great stories. It amazes me that Max has written as many books and leads a church. He must have good asst. pastors assisting him.

I originally bought the book to just read but as I’ve made my way through this book, I want to develop a sermon series. The insights Max offers are good stuff. I’m sure with the information in this book plus my own study, a study of 1 Corinthians would benefit our church members.

Yesterday, in the chapter that covers verse 7 ([love] bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.) I thought about what Christ has done for me. Christ saved me from my sins but beyond that continues to grow me and pick me up when I fail Him. I have a saying, “its tough being human but someone has to do it, and I do it so well.” Being a Christian doesn’t make a person perfect; it makes us forgiven (of our sins) and a child of God. Since we are a child of God, He loves us and wants the best for us. Agape is the Greek word used in 1 Corinthians. Agape is the word that describes how God feels for His people and for those He died for on the cross.

How can I not try to do the best I can for the One who took all my sins on Himself on the cross? In myself, I will always fail my God. The great thing is that it’s not me but Him. I can’t be perfect but He can make me perfect. As I walk with Him (daily) through my Bible reading and prayer, He molds me into the man he wants me to be; knowing that He loves me with the agape love blows my mind. Without Jesus in my life, I am nothing. It is only because of what Christ did makes me worthy. I pray that I never forget this.

No comments: