Friday, March 20, 2009

Another Race



Tomorrow is the first race of the season for me. It’s a shorter one; 8K (less than 5 miles). I learned back on Thanksgiving’s Day that running to 35 to 45 degree weather isn’t that bad if you have the right clothes so I’ve been running throughout the weather. This race is a little different for me. A few of the managers in the department I work in have registered and it will be neat to see if I can beat them. They are all 10 to 11 years younger but I am in better shape. My goals are to keep my pace at 8 to 9 minute mile and beat the younger managers. It will be fun; the temp should be upper 40’s and sunny.

Tomorrow’s race will be a warm up for the Swamp Stamp next month. The Swamp Stamp is a half marathon through the Dismal Swamp State Park. I’ve heard it’s a little easier than the Rock-in-Roll Half Marathon because the route is all flat and is the old Rt. 17 so it’s all on ash fault which is better for the joints.

It’s amazing what only one year can change. This time last year, I just started back at running again after 12 years of no running. The 5K (3.14 miles) race in May was my first race. Since then, I’ve run in 2 5K races, an 8K Mud Run, and a half marathon. My goal for this year is to do one triathlon. We will see.

No comments: