Monday, March 23, 2009

The Best Moment



Saturday, I ran in the Shamrock 8K race in VA Beach, VA. There was a record crowd of runners; 8, 000 of us. The weather started at 35 degrees so I had a sweatshirt, sock cap, and gloves along with shorts (hate running in long pants); the sock cap came off at mile no. 2 and the gloves came off at mile no. 4. I saw a few people that work at Dollar Tree but no one from my department (10 of us registered). As usual, I zoned out about 20 minutes before the start of the race and started focusing on the race which means I turned on my I-pod and relaxed my mind and didn’t pay attention to the people around me. The 8K was easy because I run longer on my normal Saturday morning runs so I was focusing on my pace; wanted to run 9 minute miles and I did. I finished in 45 minutes and 8 seconds. That was third place for the Logistics Department. Not too bad since most of the runners in my department are 10 to 12 years younger.

I can think of two good moments of the race. One was seeing a man running with a large American flag flying in the wind. It brought a tear to my eye and I thanked God for our country. But the best moment was when the Casting Crowns song “Praise You With the Dance” came on my I-Pod and I was running on the wood walk. The wind was blowing and to my right the waves were rolling on the beach. It was an awesome moment. I couldn’t help but worship my God as I ran this part of the 5 mile course. Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face. That was an awesome moment.

No comments: