Sunday, September 06, 2009

Is Cursing Ever Called For?



I have always felt that using curse words shows a lack of vocabulary. I work on not using colorful words because what’s the use for them. I especially think that a Christian shouldn’t use curse words because we are to be representatives of God on Earth. How do using curse words honor God anyway?
I’ve heard some preaches curse in the pulpit for shock value. I say, “Why?” to that train of thought. There is a pastor in Washington State that cursed all the time in his sermons until he heard that Don Miller in his book, “Blue Like Jazz” referred to him as the cursing preaching. He’s working on not cursing and doesn’t curse in his sermons anymore.
Using words that build up and not tear down should be a Christian’s goal. Using curse words doesn’t build anyone up; on the contrary, it tends to destroy. This is just my opinion.

1 comment:

Roger Allen said...

Of course we have to deal with how many people have huge vocabularies and still use "curse words." And, we have to deal with how the Bible defines "curse words." And, we have to deal with the sometimes intensly crass language the Old Testament sometimes uses. I am not advocating using "curse words," but I find that it is a bit reductionistic to reduce the kind of language that glorifies God or not to whether or not we use curse words. I myself am trying to use less of them!