Monday, September 21, 2009

I’m Just a Guy



I forget how we pastors/elders can be perceived by our church members. I remember when I was a teenager and thinking how my pastor was just a great guy who can leap over a building in a single jump. When I was first called in the ministry, I could not see myself being like Lynn. I had no idea who Lynn truly was until he allowed me into the inter sanctum where he allowed the men or young men to enter as he mentored us. It was eyes opening to see he was just a guy like every other guy.

I’m very transparent when I teach and preach so I just assume people see me as just another guy who loves the Lord; no better than they and no worse. Well I had a wake up call Sunday morning in the men’s Bible group. I have always tried to just be who I am around the people God has me to lead so they will not see me as something I’m not. In the men’s group, I was using something that happened to Teresa and me last week and Sam (one of the guys) was just surprised that I was a just like him in how I reacted. Here’s the story;

Last Tuesday evening was the last night of the parenting class Teresa and I took regarding the arrival of our baby. The class was totally geared toward the women (no surprise there and it should be) so us guys were completely bored out of our heads; at least I was. Tuesday was the tour of the birthing unit at Maryview Hospital and a Q and A time with some doctors. The class was to last until 8 pm but it went to 8:45pm. By 8:30pm I was not happy because of the length of this boring session, and my face and body language showed it. The topic of flu shots came up and Teresa called me out in front of everyone about getting one. I’ve never had one because I heard if you get one you could get the flu the first year and I’ve never had the flu. Teresa and I have an agreement to not talk bad about one another to others and not to embarrass one another in public. With her calling me out, she embarrassed me big time. I could tell by my voice I was not happy and the hot feeling on my forehead, I was red. As calmly as I could, I told Teresa and the group of strangers that I was planning on getting one this year because of the baby. The Pediatrician told me in front of everyone that it was time for me to live for Teresa and the baby and not just for me. This was a “Oh no you didn’t” moment. If looks could kill, the man would be dead and if he was close to me at the time, he would have a black eye. My thought at the time was, “Dude (yes I say dude), you don’t know me so don’t assume anything on me. I live my life for others and try to always but me last (don’t always succeed). If you were closer to me, I would snap that toothpick neck of yours.”

That’s what I thought and that’s what I shared with the group. I guess my men thought I couldn’t react that way. I’m not proud of my reaction to Tuesday’s event, but that was my reaction. As a man of God, I try very hard to stay focused on my walk with God and grow in Him. I’ve come a long way but I still have a ways to go. As do all other pastors, elders, evangelists, and Bible teachers. We are not perfect and on this side of heaven we will never be perfect but we are working on it. Just see you pastor as a guy, no better; no worse than you.

No comments: