Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Angels Unaware


I had a reminder of Hebrews 13:2 (“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it (NASV).”) this past Saturday. Our church had a Bazaar/Yard Sale and an Open House. God blessed us with great October weather and a great turn out. I was able to talk with some people as they shopped and answered any questions they had about our church. I talked with two couples that stick out in my head. One couple I will write more about on my next post because I want to write about another couple with a great testimony.

The couple with the great testimony was everywhere on Saturday. They bought from the yard sale and from the vendors. As the husband was loading the last of their lute in the back of their truck, I talked with the wife. We talked about marriage and how bad times can make a marriage stronger along with the good times. She shared with me the worst time of her marriage took place 20 years ago when they lost their 29 year old daughter to cancer.

This lady shared how there was this great male nurse on duty the last few days of their daughter’s battle. He was so caring and kind to them and he took such great care of their daughter. This lady told me that she was going home to shower and come back so he told her that he would make sure the daughter was comfortable. When she got home, the phone rang and it was the male nurse telling her and her husband to come back because the daughter was entering the final stages of the cancer. When they came back to the hospital their son-in-law met them and told them that their daughter had died.

When this lady talked with the head nurse she wanted to talk with the male nurse to thank him for all the work he did. The head nurse looked puzzled. She informed this lady that there has not been a male nurse on duty on that floor in several years. The lady and her husband were shocked but the head nurse was right according to all paperwork. This lady and her husband are sure that they had an angel taking care of their daughter and loving on them.

Who am I to doubt such a story when we have Hebrews 13:2 to tell us that we could be entertaining angels without knowing we are doing so? It’s something to think about. I’ll write about the other couple later this week.

No comments: