Thursday, November 04, 2010

Testimony

I was reading through the SBCV Church Plant Application today and read what I wrote about my testimony. This was written in 2006 when Teresa and I were praying about starting a church. My testimony is not earth shaking but it’s not about me but about the love of God and Him taking a little boy and making him into the man I am today. Thank you God for drawing me to Yourself at the age of 7. May I use all the days of my life to bring you glory!

“• My life before knowing Christ

My life before Christ drew me to Himself was a simple one. I was born on January 11, 1970 to a family who are Christians and active church members. I went to church whenever dad and mom went (every Sunday morning, evening, and Wednesday night). I was an average child who had a nice childhood.

• How I came to understand my need for Christ
One spring Sunday evening in 1977 (at the age of 7), Alexander Baptist Church had a Christian magician come and do a show for the children. While he performed his tricks, he spoke about the love of God and the gift He gave in His Son, Jesus Christ. Using his illusions, he illustrated the salvation story. I came to understand that I am a sinner and needed Jesus’ gift.

• How I received Christ as my Savior
The following Sunday morning, I walked to the front when the invitation was given. An older gentleman took me aside and talked with me about salvation. He used the Romans’ verses to show me why I was a sinner, and how I can be saved. I prayed the prayer and believed in my heart. That morning Jesus saved me and entered in my heart. Shortly after, I was baptized.

• My life since knowing Christ
The early days after the salvation experience, I was your average child in a Southern Baptist Church. I attended the “Training Union” classes before the Sunday evening service where I learned the books of the Bible through participating in Sword Drills, and learned to make friends through attending the Royal Ambassadors on Wednesday evenings. My Spiritual growth really started to be deeper; when my parents had us leave Alexander Baptist and join Fellowship Baptist (a BBFI church) in March 1984. From the beginning of the change, I started to learn the importance of reading the Bible and for witnessing. God used Lynn Hardaway, a then 27 year old pastor, to show me what ministry really is all about. Through the sermons, I learned it is our calling to tell others about the good news of the gospel. I started to attend Tuesday night visitation and started to tell my friends about the love of God. Lynn Hardaway allowed a teenager to hang out at church during the summers, so I was able to learn how to minister by doing whatever needed to be done. Through that experience with Lynn and the staff at Fellowship Baptist (Minister of Music, Youth Pastor, and the secretary), I’ve learn that ministry is sweeping the buses, cleaning the bathrooms, cutting the grass, etc. Being on the stage is a small part of what people consider “ministry.” From my salvation experience to now, God has put people and circumstances in my path to mold me into the man I am today. God has used me to mold others into what He wanted them to be. As I grow in Him and in age, I’m learning all of this we see and don’t see is all about Him and not about me. I’m only an empty work glove. He’s the hand that uses me. Without Him, I can’t accomplish anything for Him. In Him, I’m complete. And without Him, I am nothing.”

No comments: