Saturday, November 06, 2010

Using What You Have to Reach the Lost
While reading through the SBCV Church Plant Application, I read what I wrote about the need for church planting. I still feel the same way.

“I first sensed the need for church planting in college. Since the college I attended is the flag college of the Baptist Bible Fellowship, we had from time to time BBF state representatives come and share the need for churches in their particular state. Over the years, I’ve seen churches not reach the lost around them using the standard approaches. The mindset of the world is changing, and churches need to change the method of reaching the lost. We don’t change the message, but the way it is given.

My sense of calling to church planting is more a desire to be used by God to reach the world using new and different ways. Jesus used what was the norm in the age in which He was on Earth. He used story telling to tell the truth. He used objects that the people had and knew of to illustrate His points. Some churches are using methods to reach the world around them that hasn’t worked in 20 years. My sense of calling to church planting is to think outside the box, to make the world see that their need of a Loving God is real. I want God to use me to help them see that it’s not about having a steeple on the roof, wearing a suit or dress, or knowing hymns, but it’s about a real relationship with the God of the universe. It’s about peace and completeness in Him.

Having lived most of my life in Virginia, and attending and working in a multi-cultural church, I sense a call to not start a multi-cultural church but a New Testament church. The difference to me is that in the New Testament, everyone was welcomed into the body of Christ with no limitations (except no women could be pastors). To have a New Testament church, people will need to feel welcomed regardless of their race, economic background, if tattooed or clear of tattoos, with or without body piercings, etc.

My call is to plant a New Testament church wherever God directs. Teresa and I are willing to go wherever He desires to do His will. He has saved us, so we trust Him to provided for what we will need (discernment, direction, wisdom, power, house, money, etc.) because we are His children and we feel that He has set us apart to reach the people He has us to reach. All for His glory.”

No comments: