Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Sphere of Influence


Before leaving earth, Jesus Christ told His followers to go and make disciples. This is a command that everyone who confesses Christ to be their Lord and Savior should do. We are not told to create believers; only God can do that by drawing people to Himself through the work of the Holy Spirit. We are called to make disciples which means to walk beside new believers and help them in their growth as Christians. We show people Jesus Christ by living in a way He told us to; by loving others. We are to love those people God puts in our path. Every person has a group of people that we can influence for good or bad. I call this our “Sphere of Influence.”

Our “Sphere of Influence” could be family members, co-workers, friends, and/or neighbors. We are to use every opportunity to show people Jesus Christ. I go out of my way when I’m at the gym to talk with people about church; most of the time it’s in the locker-room. Sometimes it’s on the floor of the weight room, but I want people to know I am God’s child. People at work know I go to church and that I’m a pastor of a small church. I look for opportunities at work to share Christ. I’ve had one co-worker and her husband visit our church. I’ve gotten to know a young man in the Logistics Department the last month via us attending a 12 hour workshop (3 hours every Thursday for the month of March) on the Core of Communication. I built a connection so I felt I could invite him and his fiancĂ© to church on Easter Sunday. He seems interested because I’ve showed interest in him. Lord willing they will come.

I learned from reading “Walk Across the Room” by Bill Hybles (I read it 4 years ago), that the Holy Spirit will direct us to the people God wants us to talk to. We aren’t to do drive-by soul winning, but we are to build relationships with people. Once we have a relationship, they will care what we have to say because they know we care for them. Christians are to love people and since we love them, we should care what happens to them.

Who is in your “Sphere of Influence?” Have you talked with them about Jesus Christ? Some people don’t share because they are afraid or do not know what to say. We are to witness to others and all a witness does is tell what they know. If you are a Christian, you just tell people what Jesus Christ did for you. It’s the Holy Spirit’s job to draw them to God. Easter Sunday is coming up. Easter Sunday is one of two Sundays a year people tend to go to church; the other is Christmas. Invite your sphere to church on Easter Sunday. All you have to do is ask them. Who knows; they might come.

No comments: