Monday, October 24, 2011

What A Great Day



I had a very manly and productive weekend. On Saturday, I finally got a physical exam (first one in 13 years) where I also got a flu shot. I’ll find out the lab results either today or tomorrow but everything seems good. Not bad for a 41 year old. I followed the exam up with taking Ripley (my almost 2 year old daughter) to our local library for what they call Two Time (music, story, and play time) so Teresa could go yard saling. After Two Time, Teresa met us at the house where she put Ripley down for her nap. While Ripley was sleeping, I got out my ax and chopped down a brush thing. It was a bush on steroids where half of it had an eight or ten inch trunk and was at least 10 feet tall; so not really a tree but more than a bush. I worked on it for a little over two hours; that’s chopping the thing down and started to dig up the stump and roots. The root base of this thing was three feet round and I had no idea how deep. I was dripping wet so I called it a day. It was great weather for it; mid 60’s. After church on Sunday, I took the shovel, my garden rake, and the ax and went back to work. It took almost 3 hours to dig and chop the root base up but I was victorious. The root base was 2 feet in the ground and kept going so I made sure the bush wouldn’t grow back and hauled the root base along with the pieces to the curb. I back filled the hole with the dirt I dug up plus some I bought. I have to say, I felt great about myself for getting it done. Plus I love the smell of fresh turned dirt.

When my head hit the pillow on Saturday night, my last thought was “What A Great Day.” It’s funny because that is the title of the last song on a TV show we allow Ripley to watch on NickJr called “The Fresh Beat Band.” To me it was a great day because I was able to get a lot done. The more I think about that last thought, the more I keep thinking that as a Christian everyday should be a great day.

As a Christian, we have prefect peace and the assurance of how we will end up after death. As a Christian, we should know that our Heavenly Father watches over us and provides for all our needs (not our wants but our needs). As a Christian, we have a Holy Spirit that gives us guidance and direction as we need it. As a Christian, we have our sin debt paid in full by our Lord Jesus Christ. While living in a world of uncertainty, we know that because of our relationship with God (the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit; the three in One) we know that we are safe and secure so how can we not have a great day everyday.

Thank you Heavenly Father for loving me and making me your son; thank you Lord Jesus for paying my sin debt on the cross; and thank you Spirit for drawing me to the Father and giving me eyes to see my need for salvation and giving me ears to hear you calling me. Thank you for making me your man and I ask only that you will allow me to give my life back to you every minute of everyday of every week, month, and year of my life and beyond. I love You!

No comments: