Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Awesome!

Last week, we played host to my parents, my sister (Wendi), her husband (Scott), and my nephew (Justin) for Christmas. We had a great time with them all but I would have to say that the highlight was my 8 year old nephew Justin. Everything was “Awesome!” for him; his Christmas gifts, our trip to Jamestown Settlement on Friday, and me. It got to the point that he would make me laugh every time he said, “Awesome!” I told Wendi that his “Awesome!” was “Awesome.”

Teresa and I really didn’t know what to expect with Justin this time around. It has been almost 2 years since we saw him last. I would have to say that Wendi and Scott are doing an awesome (I had to say it) job raising this little man. The last time they visited, he was 6 and he and I watched cartoons together in the morning because we were the only ones up and I didn’t mind him watching them. This time around, we watched a little bit of cartoons but we got to spend time together having more fun.

I really enjoy running so after we opened our Christmas gift, I suited up for a 6 mile run (we had 55 degree weather in VA on Christmas day). Justin saw we put my running shoes on and wanted to come with me. Wendi told him no because she knew I was going for 6 miles. He frowned but didn’t make a scene. I was coming back around my running route and saw Teresa and my mom doing Teresa’s normal 3.5 mile walk. I saw that little man (AKA Justin) was with them. I met up with them about a mile from the house. Teresa told me that Justin wanted to run with me so I slowed my pace and he ran with me. He kept up with me. When we got back to the house that’s all he talked about; the he ran with Uncle Tom. I would have to say it was “Awesome.”

I told Justin that on Saturday, I was planning to do a shorter run of 3 miles if he wanted to come with me. That’s all he talked about on Friday night. He told me before going upstairs for bed that he was going to sleep so he’ll be ready to run with me in the morning. I slept in a little on Saturday; woke up at 7:30am. Justin was waiting downstairs with his clothes on ready to go. I told him that we will run around 9am to allow the temperature to rise a little. At around 9am, we headed out for our 3 mile run. I told Wendi later that the run was all about Justin. I didn’t care about our pace. Justin did a good job. He ran 2.5 mile before I had to carry him on my back. I carried him about quarter of a mile and he was ready to go. He ran the last quarter and fell out on our loveseat. It was funny. Wendi took him upstairs for a bath. After the bath, he was ready to go again.

Justin shared with Teresa and me on Sunday morning that he didn’t sleep well Saturday. He said he didn’t want to leave. Justin is an awesome kid who I can’t wait to see how God will use him. He’s very sharp. I’m hoping we can get together in July. All in all, the week was “Awesome!”

No comments: