Friday, December 19, 2008

Memories

The last month, more of my family members have become my Facebook friends. This has given the cousins a chance to get reconnected as adults. I have to admit that I haven’t been putting a lot of focus on the extended family. It’s been at least 5 years since Teresa and I have gone to a July 4th family party in Paducah, KY. My dad is number 6 of 12 children so the Thomasson clan has grown to about 70 plus people. It has been nice writing the cousins and hearing how they are doing about their children.

I have put photos for 2004 Christmas Teresa and I spent with my parents and one of my sisters and it has caused us to write about the memories we had of the Thomasson Christmas gatherings. When Maw (that’s what we called our grandmother) was alive, everyone would come to “Maw’s House” on Christmas day. Dad would load us up and we would drive to KY every year. It was a fun trip because we got to stay in a motel (little things excite children). Maw had a finished basement so everyone was down there eating and talking. There was a fireplace so some us kids would through the paper cups in the fire to watch them burn between playing games. Everyone got a gift and the children who were under 12 years old were given a coloring book and crayons. Wendi, Wanda, and I always loved getting the coloring book and crayons. In fact we were the only ones Maw continued for a few extra years for getting a set because she knew we loved coloring; something I’m still fond of today. I’m trying to keep this tradition alive by giving Wendi’s son a set every year he’s with us on Christmas.

I have so many good memories at Maw’s house during Christmas. She always made a big breakfast with eggs, bacon, homemade biscuits, and milk gravy (oh man she made awesome gravy). She always had a kind word to give and hug and kiss whenever she saw me. My favorite memories have to do with sitting and listening to my crazy aunts and uncles talking about my grandfather and their adventures as children. The stories would make a great novel and movie.

The best part about my memories of Maw and our time together is knowing she is in a better place now. She was a good Christian lady who raised 2 preachers. To my knowledge, most of the family members are church going Christians. Now that’s a testimony.

No comments: