Friday, May 29, 2009

Bi-vocational Ministry



Yesterday, I met up with a pastor friend of mine for coffee. He introduced me to a gentleman who is an interim pastor of a church in Hampton. I really enjoy meeting new people, and talking with Randy was a treat; the 90 minutes went by quick. Randy is looking to get back to the mission field in Asia by end of the year and the church will need a man who can pastor and love them going forward. I asked questions about the church and Randy asked questions to see where I stand on important areas. The one question that I knew would come is if I wanted to be a bi-vocational pastor or a full time pastor. If you are reading this and don’t know, I’ve been a bi-vocational minister for most of my ministry life. In fact, in my opinion every Christian is called to the ministry and are to tell others about Christ. It’s only a select group of men who God calls to equip the church to be able to grow in their walks. These men are called pastor, elder, or bishop (all the same office of the church).

The answer to Randy’s question is yes; I’m willing to be bi-vocational and/or full time. In my mind, I’ll be full time even if I have to work a secular job to pay the bills. I’ve thought about this for a while now. I would pastor a church for no pay if it would help get a group of Christians growing in their walks with Christ and reach their community with the gospel of Christ. God would ensure I’m taken care of; I’m His child after all.

God has supplied me with a great job at Dollar Tree, where I get paid very well with benefits. I also am able to do church work at my desk if my duties are complete. While church planting and leading a Bible Study in Carrollton last year, most of the studies were prepared at my desk at Dollar Tree. I’m not robbing my employer; my boss told me as long as my work is done I can do whatever at my desk. I’m able to manager my days off to do church duties where I need to. Most churches can’t afford to supply medical insurance so having it through my job will be one less thing a church would need to try to provide; that money can be put back onto the church’s bank account and used to reach the lost for Christ.

Being bi-vocational has been interesting because I have to manage my time so I can earn a wage but also make sure the people God has entrusted me with are cared for. There are many challenges being bi-vocational but I love it because I see it as being on the front lines of the Spiritual war. I would go crazy if I was stuck in an office; I’ve been there and done that before. If I was full time as a pastor, I would spend more time at the coffeehouses, restaurants, parks, and other places meeting new people and showing them Jesus. Pastors are to lead by example and being in the secular world and serving Christ at the same time shows Joe Christian how to manage their secular job and their calling as a Minster in God’s army.

No comments: