Sunday, May 31, 2009

You Never Know



You never really know how impactful a sermon will be in people’s lives. If you look at the stats most of what is said people forget. Today I was reminded what an impact I can have for Christ when the Holy Spirit is at work. A gentleman, who attends the men’s small group I lead, told me that he was glad I’m married. I looked at him and said so am I. He missed last week’s sermon because he stayed home with a sick child so his wife could come to church. All week she was quoting what I said in my sermon. If I wasn’t married he would have been jealous that his wife talked so much about another man (he was joking). I do remember she told me last week that she is looking forward to doing “The Truth Project” when our church does it during the summer. My sermon of Truth last week really made an impact in her life. I was blown away; not at what God did but that He chose me to use to do it. It is awesome.
Another gentleman over heard us talking and told me that his daughters really enjoyed the sermon as well. I was taken back. Sam has 5 daughters (yes, 5) and I only met 2 of them and his wife once. They really liked how I used the “Last Battle (last book of the chronicles of Narnia series)” to explain Isaiah 40:22. According to Sam, his daughters took that the other points and they had a good discuss over lunch. That’s what Sunday morning sermons should do; cause the people of God to think.
It was so humbling to hear these testimonies on how God used me last week. You never know how God will use you. It’s not that He needs us; it’s that He wants to use us. I pray that God will have more opportunities to use me to bring Him glory.

No comments: