Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tools in the Toolbox



When Teresa and I were married, I had a few tools but Teresa had a whole toolbox full of tools. That was from being a single lady on her own and being taught how to care for herself by her father. After we were married, she let me know that the tools in the toolbox were mind now and I’ve added tools to it over the last 15 years. When I took on a project like building a podium for a Sunday School class I was teaching I bought an electric saw. When I needed to cut shapes and people out of wood for a youth lock-in theme, I bought a jigsaw. I have a good selection of tools but once and awhile I need to get another tool for a project but for the most part I have what I need.

I view college and especially Bible College as a time to get tools for a career and/or for the ministry God has called me. Each class taught me on a topic that gave me the tools to better study on my own. When college was over, I had tools in my ministry toolbox. Over the years, I’ve added to the toolbox by reading books and attending workshops. The last 12 years of my ministry, I have been working at Dollar Tree Stores, Inc. to pay the bills as the two churches I’ve worked with could either not pay me a fulltime salary or no salary at all. God has provided through this great company and doors have been opened to earn a good salary and allow me the time to minister to the people of God. Through a workshop this past week, I have a new tool I my ministry toolbox.

I was able to attend a “Leading Effective Meetings” workshop this past week. I’ve lead meeting for years but when I saw the topic, I had to see if I could learn anything new and I did. I have three Spiritual gifts that always seemed to be the same number on gift tests. They are Preacher/Teacher, Evangelism, and Leadership (or Administration; depending on the test and their naming of the gift.). With the Leadership giftedness, I feel very strongly that anything done for God should be done in an orderly fashion and I focus on getting the I’s dotted and T’s crossed for an event, meeting, or anything else being done at church for God. Through the workshop, I have a better understanding on how to set the tone and have the meeting run smoothly. I look forward to using this new skill in the next Elders’ Meeting in August.

No comments: