Tuesday, January 22, 2008



Diversity


I’ve been thinking about setting the DNA of the future church plant. One of the traits I desire to have in the DNA is diversity. In fact, I’ve put Diversity as one of the 7 core values for our church plant. I’m sure some people may wonder what my definition of diversity is. The website Encarta has Diversity defined as social inclusiveness: ethnic variety, as well as socioeconomic and gender variety, in a group, society, or institution. My definition isn’t that flowery.

I came across the SBCV Church Plant Application in my computer earlier today. There is a section that asked me to write up to one page describing the following my sense of call to church planting. Below is a small section describing my desire for this trait in the DNA way back in 2006. This is my definition of diversity.

“Having lived most of my life in Virginia, and attending and working in a multi-cultural church, I sense a call to not start a multi-cultural church but a New Testament church. The difference to me is that in the New Testament, everyone was welcomed into the body of Christ with no limitations (except no women could be pastors). To have a New Testament church, people will need to feel welcomed regardless of their race, economic background, if tattooed or clear of tattoos, with or without body piercings, etc.”

I envision a church that will have whites, blacks, and other races working hand in hand spreading the message of Christ along with tattoo wearing, body piercing having Christ-followers. It will be great to have people come in the front doors regardless of what they are wearing or look like and feel loved. That’s a Galatians 3:27-28 church (For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.).

Father, I humbly ask you to make this happen if it be your will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make it happen my friend!