Monday, October 13, 2008

Heritage

I’ve grown up with my mom tell me and my sister that we have Indian in the family line. I’ve always thought this is cool. Most people look at me strange when I share this truth because I’m fair skinned, red haired, and blue eyed. My mom sent me and my sisters a letter from her brother answering some questions about the Harrell family homestead in North Caroline. His answers to her questions were eye opening about my family heritage. I’ve pasted some of his letter below. To me, it’s pretty cool.

“Hertford [part of NC where the Harrell homestead is located] was settled in the late 1600s (whites and Indians)...perhaps around 1672 or a little later, and was a part of Perquimans County which was founded in 1668. Both of which were still under English rule.

In fact, Perquimans County began (at that time) at the Virginia border reaching south to, or below, the Albermarle Sound. Records during that time were very sketchy. That why I had such a hard time with my paper...which I wish I'd kept. It also had many gaps in it which I couldn't find the necessary information.

Perquimans County earliest inhabitants were the Yeopim Indians who were a part of the Alqonquiants Indian tribe family. The Indians gave Perquimans its name, meaning "land of beautiful women."

Do you recall the creek, which ran into the river, then into the Albermarle Sound...the creek and a part of the river surrounded granddaddy's property...which was named the Yeopim Creek/River?

However, being a mixture of Indians and whites early on, is perhaps why you and I have 1/8 Indian blood. Also, the Harrell family didn't want our father to marry our mother because her grandmother was full blooded Indian...did you know that?”

No comments: