Sunday, October 05, 2008

Pastor Appreciation Month

October is the month set aside to thank men who pastor churches. I’ve always thought it weird that people had to create an official month to say thank you to men who minister to them. I try to say thank you to Roger and Floyd (both pastors of Common Ground Community Church). Since starting the Monday Bible Study and work at developing weekly devotions, I appreciate all the work pastors need to do each week. Pastors have to work long hours and get little money; it’s a ministry or a calling and not a career.

Today, Common Ground wanted to say thank you to our pastors. I went to the back of our church build just after the service. Floyd called me back to the sanctuary. I had no idea why, but apparently I was to be appreciated along with our pastors. I have no clue why (I’m one of 7 Elders but not a pastor). We were given a gift card to Outback Steakhouse. I’m honored for this but I felt weird (to be honest). I’ve always tried to be in the background while doing ministry work even when I teach and preach. You may think, “How can you be in the background if you are teaching and/or preaching?” I feel that it’s God who should be the focus of teaching and/or preaching. It’s all about God.

If you haven’t said thank you to your pastor, do so the next time you see them.

No comments: