Monday, October 27, 2008

Run Away!

For me the best parts of the movie “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” are when the characters are attacked and the king yells, “Run Away! Run Away!” in stead of retreat. To me it’s hilarious.

Paul, in his letter to Timothy, basically tells Timothy to “Run Away!” from youthful lusts. I’ve heard of men fall to sexual sin in the ministry and how easy it can be. I remember as a 24 year old single Youth Pastor in Richmond, VA asking the two older ladies who were the moms of the youth group to help me keep an eye on the girls. I’m like most guys; clueless when I’m hit on my women. These ladies had my back when it came to telling me which girls started looking at me with those eyes. When I knew who they were, I made it a point to be friendly but not too friendly so not to lead them on. I remember this one young lady who was moving away so she gave me a figurine to remember her by. It was weird the way she hugged me good-bye. I have never allowed myself to be left a lone with a female to make sure there is no doubt to anyone’s mind by my conduct.

This leads me to a devotion I read by Jack Zavada about watching our purity as men. He said, “If you've ever looked at my bio page, you know I look more like Andy Rooney than George Clooney, yet several times during my career, married women at work let me know they were available. I wasn't misreading their signals and I didn't do anything to encourage them. I was shocked every time it happened.” For some reason, women think that men in the ministry are different than their husbands or boyfriends. I guess they think we don’t have mad breathe or something. This is the reason why it’s good to have blockers in place. Blockers are people who will let you know when females are acting differently toward you. When you are told who they are, you should “Run Away! Run Away!” Never be left a lone with someone you know may have feelings for you either than your wife. It’s just common sense.

I actually had my own little situation with a co-worker who was eyeing me. This was back in 1998. I was easily 40 pounds heavier (fat), and I thought I kept seeing this woman looking at me; not just looking, but looking (if you know what I mean). This was at a secular workplace. I shared my thoughts with 3 women I was working with; these ladies all knew I was in church work and they were old enough to be my mom. They started looking out for me. One day, I was making a copy and this woman walked by. I thought I imagined this, but she looked me up and down like a piece of meat. Just so happened one of the ladies was near by and she confirmed it wasn’t my imagination and this woman wanted me. I found out later that this woman would go after married men and bed them for fun. I avoided this woman like the plague.

If you ever think a woman (other than you wife) is acting like they want more than friendship or they told you so, put them straight and “Run Away!” Talk with an accountability partner or your pastor about it. You may want to share this with your wife so she will know what’s going on.

No comments: