Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Total Recall

I enjoy listening to audio books when I’m driving. I’m a member of an audio book club so I get 4 books at a time; it’s awesome. I just finished listening to a W.E.B. Griffin book called “The Hunters.” This is actually the third book by the author with the same characters and underlining plot. As soon as I heard the beginning of the book, I had total recall of the last two books. It was neat to pick up right where the last one ended. It was like meeting old friends.

I was thinking about how just hearing the names of the characters gave me total recall and I thought that’s how God is with us. There some Christians who are so scared to share their faith because they maybe asked something they have no idea how to answer. 2 Timothy 1:7 says “For God has not given us a spirit of timidity [KJV has fear], but of power and love and discipline.” Jesus told his disciples not to worry about what to say when (and He said when) they would stand before councils because the Holy Spirit would give them the words.

We are called in the Great Commission to simply “GO” and tell people what we know. The passage doesn’t say we are the one who make people become believers in Christ. We are simply told to make “DISCIPLES.” A disciple is someone who follows a leader or a student of someone. In Acts 1:8, Jesus tells His followers that the Holy Spirit will give us power to do what He has called us to do. It’s not us doing anything; it’s God doing it through us. We are just the work gloves.

The Bible tells us to not only read but mediate (or absorb) the truths in it. As we read and mediate on the Word of God daily, the Holy Spirit will give us total recall when we need it. When people are hurting, the verses that deal with pain will come to mind. When people are lonely, you will know what to say. It’s freeing to know that we don’t do anything. God does it all. We are just his vessels.

No comments: