Saturday, July 25, 2009

Getting Deep



I love small groups. The small groups’ ministry gives a church of any size the opportunity for the members a place for in-depth learning. The group Teresa and I have been in for the last 10 months has been great. This group has given me the opportunity to just seat back and learn instead of lead/teach. In the past 8 years, I’ve started small groups and lead small groups but this is the first time in awhile I’ve been a member. It has been great. Last week, we completed the Focus on the Family “The Truth Project” where we studied world view; not a shallow topic. We all enjoyed the in-depth of this topic and all agreed to continue to meet studying new topics.
The subject we start studying this week is Hermeneutics (the science and art of biblical interpretation). It’s a neat story how we decided on this topic that most church attendees have never heard of. While before we started one of the “The Truth Project” sessions 6 weeks ago, we were talking about Hermeneutics and word studies. As we discussed this, one of the members expressed a desire to learn more about the subject. I volunteered lead a short how to course. This Monday is the beginning of a 4 to 5 week course of Hermeneutics and word studies. This week is just the definition of Hermeneutics and the reason why Christians should know how to interpret the Bible. I really have enjoyed rereading some of my Bible college text books and buying new ones on the subject; may God use this to glorify Himself. After all, that is my main purpose in life; to bring glory to my Heavenly Father.

No comments: