Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Shout It From the Rooftops!



When Teresa and I first found out that we were expecting our baby, I wanted to tell everyone; I wanted to shout it from the rooftops, “I’m having a baby and I’m excited?” I didn’t for the first few weeks until it was confirmed by a doctor and then we told our families first and then we waited until we found out the sex (the baby is a girl). During all this time I was shouting the news in my mind. I was biting at the bit to tell people the great news.

I’m reading through Mark and saw this; “And He gave them orders not to tell anyone; but the more He ordered them, the more widely they continued to proclaim it. (Mark 7:36)” Jesus had just restored a man’s hearing and the ability to speak. Saying that he was excited would not come close to what he was feeling. I can imagine this man grabbing people and saying, “This man (pointing at Jesus) restored my hearing and I can speak now! Everybody, Jesus gave me back my hearing and my tongue!” The man was so grateful that he had to tell people.

Oh how we (Christians) have lost this excitement about our Savior. You see, the Holy Spirit gave use the ability to hear Jesus calling us to Himself and the Holy Spirit gave us the eyes to see our need for a Savior. Why is it we have lost our excitement of the gospel or the good news? Why have we stopped pointing people to Jesus and telling them what He did for use? Could it be we have forgotten who and what we were before Jesus saved us? Oh that we never forget what we owe God for paying our sin debt on the cross and making us His children.

We (including me) need to be more like Andrew and Phillip as they are shown in John 1:40-45 (One of the two who heard John speak and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, "You are Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas" (which is translated Peter). The next day He purposed to go into Galilee, and He found Philip and Jesus said to him, "Follow Me." Now Philip was from Bethsaida, of the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."). We should be so excited about what Jesus has done for us that we tell people and show them Jesus. We are simply called to share with people what our Savior did for us and how He changed us.

Just as Teresa and I started by telling our families about our good news of our coming child, we should tell our families what God has done for us and then go from there. Telling your friends, co-workers, and neighbors the good news you have; Jesus Christ. Shout if from the rooftops like the man Jesus restored his sight and speech because after all that is what God did for us. He gave eyes to see our need for Him and ears to hear His voice as He calls us to Himself. Shout out the good news!

No comments: