Sunday, July 19, 2009

Remembering



I’ve been meaning to write my thoughts down on remembering. This morning I looked at my left hand and between my pointing figure and my thumb is a fine faint line; I really won’t call it a scar. It made me remember the last night of final exams of my first year in Bible College. We freshmen were being dumb and running around and I slipped and ran my hand into a doorframe. The memory makes me smile; weird as it is. We have many things that we have that can cause us to have total recall of a memory. There is a flat stone on the bottom of our bookshelf in the living room that makes me remember Teresa and my vacation to Ireland back in 2004. I picked up 4 stones from the Cliffs of Moher and brought them back. This is one I kept for myself. I smile every time I notice it.
God told the Children of Israel to pick up stones as they walked on the dried ground of the Jordan River and pile them together and make an altar so the generations to come will know what He did for their forefathers. Every time an Israelite walked by the pile of stones, they would remember the blessings God has done for them.
One day, we will see Jesus in heaven and see the scars of the nails in His hands and His feet. These scars will be a reminder of what He did for us on the cross. We will be reminded for all eternity of what a great and awesome God we have. He took our place on the cross and paid the sin duty He knew we could never pay. Instead of this memory bringing a smile to my face, I’m thinking it will bring tears of joy and thanksgiving.
Thank you Jesus for taking my place and making me an adopted son!

No comments: