Friday, October 30, 2009

Just Say “No”



Today at work, the management bought donuts and apple cider for everyone to enjoy. I had to say “No” to this offering of sweet treats. I’m not a big fan of sweets anyway (not even as a kid), but I do appreciate the thought. We have an end of the month birthday celebration with a cake for those whose birthday was during the month; I never partake of the cake but do attend. It may sound weird to some but if I’m going to treat myself with something bad, I rather have pizza and not sweets. Pizza is my weakness.

You may ask why I don’t partake with the sweets. Well 7 years ago, I discovered that I’d allowed myself to weigh 220 pounds. I wore a 36 inch pants but they were getting a little snug. Teresa, my wife, had joined Weight Watchers so I joined her with counting the points. I got to where I could tell you the points of anything (still can). In 5 months, I lost 45 pounds and got down to 175 pounds. I felt great.

Well 4 years ago, I discovered that I gained half of this weight back so I did the WW thing again and went down to 180 pounds. This time I decided to stick to an exercise routine. My track record with exercise has been one of 3 to 4 months on and 2 to 3 months off; I’d done this since my mid-twenties. I wanted to make sure to keep this weight maintained and I knew exercise was the only way.

I started with walking on the treadmill and light free-weights. I had run in my youth and had stopped but I started again after a few months of the treadmill. Running was as fun as I remembered it, and I kept that up until Teresa told me that I was running the length of a 5K race so I signed up for my first race and never looked back. Since that first 5K race, I’ve run in 3 5K races, an 8K Mud Run, two half marathons, and an 8K adventure race (running and biking through mud and over obstacles). Two years ago, I started to go to the YMCA during my lunch break and have been doing that for 2 years straight where I do 2 days (Tuesdays and Thursdays) of heavy weight training with the stationary bike on the other days. I ran (still do) outside after work almost everyday (weather permitting). After a few months of this, I added swimming to my routine. I always enjoyed the water so I thought I’d try it and found I love it the most. It was the toughest of the new things but I stuck to it, and am up to 30 minutes of laps each time (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays) equaling swimming for 90 minutes each week.
While doing all this exercise, I’m watching my diet. My diet has had to change from the mindset of a dieter to that of an athlete because I was not eating enough for all the exercising I was doing. Food is fuel, and the right food works better than junk. That’s why I say no to cake and donuts and eat pizza only once and a while.

I started dieting and exercise to stay healthy and not to need to live on pills like my parents. The side affects of this is feeling great and according to Teresa looking sexy (her words; not mind). My personal opinion is that all pastors and ministry people should be role models in how we live. Diet and exercise is part of that along with having a constant Christian walk.

No comments: