Thursday, October 15, 2009

Outlook On Life



By nature, I’m a people watcher. I get this from my parents who enjoy sitting and watching people at the mall. It can be fun trying to put traits on people by just looking at them. One trait of a person that is hard to see by looking at a person is how they see life; at least for me. Some people see circumstances as “the cup is half empty” and some see it as “the cup is half full.” I’ve not made a study of this so I’m assuming the people who view life as “the cup is half empty” tend to be more pessimistic while the “the cup is half full” people tend to be more optimistic. As I said, it’s hard to see by looking at people unless you are a body language expert; which I am not.

The life philosophy of Gene Simmons’ mom (yes the Gene Simmons of KISS) is very interesting to me; she is definitely a “the cup is half full” person. Any day that you are above ground is a good day. Meaning, no matter how bad your day could be going; at least you are still alive. This is a good life philosophy which was created out of being a Nazi holocaust survivor.

I’m not a doom and gloom sort of person so I guess I’m a “the cup is half full” person. There is no need to dwell on the bad because I know the One is has everything in the palm of His hand. If things are going well, I praise His name for the good He has given me, so why would I not do the same in the bad times. Just as the poem “Foot Prints in The Sands” nicely puts it, when good stuff is going on Jesus is walking with us and when bad things happen He carries us through it.

I have a great example of how a Christian man sees himself in the scheme of things. This man has been a pastor for several decades serving his Savior well. I was informed 3 months ago that he was told he has cancer and the outcome seems dire. His reaction was something awesome. Where most people (Christian and lost alike) would ask, “why me?” his reaction was why not me. If my God will heal me of this illness then great; if not, then I’ll see Him soon. That is a mature man of God.

How do you view life; “the cup is half empty” or “the cup is half full?” I guess it really depends on how you live your life and in whom you belong.

No comments: