Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Justice



On Monday and Tuesday of this week, I fulfilled my civic duty by performing jury duty for Portsmouth, VA. I sat on a murder/attempted robbery trial. The case was basically a 19 yr old man shot and killed another 19 yr old man and shot another 19 yr old man while trying to take a golf cart. The crime was just senseless. There was no verdict because one juror didn’t think the person was guilty; a hung jury.

While we were in the juror room talking over the evidence, one of the men on the jury asked “How have we as a society come to this?” It’s simple, SIN. It goes back to when Adam and Eve rebelled against God and ate the fruit. Since that time, mankind has been at war with God. Society has changed a lot in my lifetime and I’m only 39 yrs old. I think a crime like takes place simply because we as a society have stopped teaching that everyone is a creation of God and started teaching we are all glorified monkeys. You teach that a person has come from apes long enough, people start to act like their ancestors were intend apes. Society thinking tends to change with the wind, but we as God’s people go by the ultimate standard; God’s Word.

As God’s people, we go by what the Bible says and not go with the flow as society does. Society’s law says that this young man broke their standards and because of that; he must pay. As a jury, we were not of one mind so this man will have another trial. I shared with the other 11 people on the jury that we must take in all the evidence and make a decision. If we say he’s not-guilty and he is there is a final judgment after death. I didn’t say anything after that and no one asked me to explain my statement.

God is the ultimate judge; He will judge us by the ultimate standard. When we breathe our last, we will stand before Him and give an account of our lives. He will ask us one question, “Why should I let you know to heaven?” If we say anything other than Jesus Christ, we will not enter. We are all born guilty of sin but Jesus came to take our place. I have been set free from the guilt of sin. He paid the sin guilt on the cross and I received His gift. Even though I deserve to spend eternity separated from God, He made a way for me to spend it with Him. When God sees me, He sees His Son. I am guiltless because of Jesus’ gift of eternal life. Without Jesus, I am no different than the young man that was on trial. Jesus makes all the difference.

What about you? Do you have the assurance that you will spend eternity with Jesus? You should make sure.

No comments: