Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Caregiver Tom


When you think of a man who is a Pastor, an Elder, and/or Bishop (different names for the same office), what comes to mind? Some of you might envision a man who wears a suit or a man wearing a backward shirt (you know wearing a white collar). I only wear a suit when I do funerals and weddings. You might envision a man who sits in an office with rows of books behind his desk. I’d rather be outside of the office; in fact, I’m currently bi-vocational so I work at Dollar Tree so I’m on the frontlines. Different people think of different images of men who go by the title Pastor, Elder, or Bishop. Some of these men go by the title Reverend or Pastor/Bishop. I personal do not like titles and I choose not to be called Pastor or Reverend Thomasson. My name is Tom so call me Tom.

I think my philosophy is taken from my childhood mentor who instilled in me the idea of not liking the title Reverend; his philosophy is that only God should be reverenced. I have to agree with him. I was reminded of this fact today when I read Matthew 23 in my personal Bible reading. Reading verses 1 through 12 where Jesus was condemning the Pharisees for wanting to be called Rabbi and wanting to be put in places of honor. Verse 10 says, “Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ.” This might be where my mentor developed his philosophy. Pastors of churches are not really leaders of the church. The best way to say it is that Jesus Christ is the Leader (Head of the church) and the pastor is the senior follower of our Leader and the church members follow the senior follower as he follows the Leader (Jesus Christ). Jesus is the One who does and the pastor is called to follow His lead.

In Virginia, you have to be registered when you are licensed to marry people. On the form, there is a blink for title. I wrote down “Minister” because the Greek word where we get the word minister is servant. I am the servant of God and I serve His people. Jesus came to be a servant and He is far greater than I so please do not call me Leader, Pastor/Bishop, or Reverend. I’m just Tom.

I did a funeral a few months back and it took me almost 20 times to get the Funeral Director to stop calling me Rev. Thomasson. He called me that out of respect and I told him I understood but to call me Tom. At the end of the funeral, he finally called me Tom.

I see my main job as bring glory and honor to God and I do that by pointing people to Jesus Christ and if the Holy Spirit is dealing with them, they will become followers of Christ. After they become followers of Christ, I encourage them to grow in Christ by equipping them to grow in their walk with Him (Discipleship). I’m not more spiritual than any other Christ-follower but I am called to care for His people. If a title must be given, call me Caregiver Tom.

No comments: