Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Missed it by That Much


My dad’s youngest brother has been in the ministry as long as I can remember; at least 35 – 40 years. When I was teenage preacher boy, he and I would talk about colleges and what type of degree I should earn. He shared with me that before he entered college, he lead music for the church the family was attending so he had experience and a love for music but he was missing something. Uncle Ricky shared that during his first year in college, he heard Matthew 7:22-23 preached in a chapel service. The passage says, “Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’” The Holy Spirit showed my uncle that he was doing what he thought he should but he never had accepted Jesus as his Savior. He got saved during his first year of Bible College. I’ve known several people during my 4 years of Bible College who entered lost thinking they were saved but realized they were lost. I’ve heard it said that some people will miss heaven by 18 inches; they have a head knowledge of Jesus but never accepted Him into their hearts.

In the old T.V. show “Get Smart,” the titled character Maxwell Smart would say “I missed it by that much.” whenever he failed to do or reach something. It’s sad but true; some people (even church members) will say in the Day of Judgment, “I missed it by that much.” The Bible is clear that anything but accepting what Jesus Christ on the cross to save us will be too short to enter heaven. Some people are trusting in church membership, good works, philosophy, or anything else but Jesus to get to heaven. These man made bridges to God all fall short. The graphic to the right shows a good illustration of man trying to get to God on their own and falling short.

I want to make it clear that there is a way to God, but it is through the person of Jesus Christ. Mankind can achieve happiness and fulfillment through Jesus Christ and by nothing else. If you are reading this post and wonder what you can do to find true joy and know for sure you are heading to heaven after death, take a look at the Bible passages below.

Everyone has displeased God; we are all sinners; Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

There are consequences for our sin; Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." That last half of this verse shows there is hope in Jesus Christ.

Jesus’ death on the cross provides a way out of sin; Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Salvation is asking and accepting God’s forgiveness through Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross; Romans 10:9, "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

No comments: