Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Our Calling



I tell people that I am a bi-vocational minister; meaning I work a secular job while fulfilling the duties of an executive pastor of a small church. This is somewhat misleading because for me being an executive pastor is my calling and not a vocation. You see the definition of vocation is a particular occupation, business, or profession. I’m called to be a minister (or servant) and under-shepherd to God’s people. Part of this to me is making sure the body of Christ is equipped, according to Ephesians 4:11-12 (And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ), to walk with God (reading their Bible and praying to God) and being able to share God’s love with the world. My vocation or paying job is with Dollar Tree Stores, Inc. where I shine my light (sharing God’s love) with my co-workers. Working a secular job while leading a church allows me to let the money that is paid in (through titles) be used for more important things; i.e. lights, water, outreach events, supporting local and foreign missions, etc.

The benefit of working a secular job for me is being able to be on the frontlines of evangelism. I’ve worked at churches where I had to be in the office and let me tell you that 90% of the time, I was climbing the walls. I need to be out and about. I get that from my dad; he is a hunter and fisherman and loves the outdoors. I love be outdoors as well but I enjoy (get energy from it) talking with people. Teresa has told me that I’ve never met a stranger. Meeting new people is fun for me.

Everyone who confesses to be a Christian are all called to share the love of God. Not all of us are assigned to be church leaders, but all are called to love their neighbors. Not all will be directed to move from our homes to go to a foreign land or to another part of the U.S. but all are called to walk across the street to our neighbors or to the desk (or cubical) beside ours and love on people. The assignment given to each Christian to share Jesus Christ to the lost world is found in Matthew 28:19-20 (Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."); Mark 16:15 (And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.); and Acts 1:8 (“. . . but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."). We aren’t called to make Christians for only God can draw people to Himself. We are called to make disciples; a disciple is a student. Our calling is to be like John the Baptist (John 1:7-8; 15); to point people to Jesus Christ. Once people accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, we are to walk beside them and help them grow in their new life. As they grow in their new life, they will point other people to Jesus and the process continues.

Our paying jobs are just one way God supports us; we are to use that money to give it back to Him and do His calling. We are to be good servants of the money He gives us by giving it all away. Not only should we give all our money away but we should give all ourselves away to others. That is our calling after all as a child of the living God.

No comments: