Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Time at the YMCA



I like using this blog to write down thoughts I have from time to time; some of these thoughts end up as sermons or illustrations for sermons. But sometimes I just have to write about what happens in my life. Today was a good one. During lunch I go to the nearby YMCA to workout; on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I swim for 30 minutes and Tuesdays and Thursdays I do free weights. It’s a great way to stay in shape and also a good way to burn off some stress. I’ve been doing this for over a year and half straight so I’m very familiar with the staff and some other regulars. I’ve actually got some good sermon illustrations from what I’ve seen and heard over this time.

Well today we had some visitors in the free weight room. A mother brought her two children with her today. I’ve never seen this woman but she seemed to be excited about helping her kids exercise. It was entertaining to say the least. You could tell the son (maybe 13 to 14 years old; maybe younger) had no desire to be there so he wined while he did the exercises. At one point I almost lost count while working out my calves, because he was half hearted doing an exercise to the point it was comical. I had to close my eyes not to be distracted. Afterward, I looked over at the trainer and he had this look on this face that made me laugh out loud.

This trainer (named Joe) is a good guy and he knows his stuff. I told him “We all have to start some place but I don’t think he wants to be here.” Joe looked at me and said “He doesn’t want to be here. You can tell.” After I was done with my routine, I helped this lady a little with her daughter when she was trying to do one of my favorite exercises. The mother listened as I showed her daughter (maybe 12 years old) how to properly do it and she did it O.K. for her first time. The son on the other hand was ready to leave.

I have to say my time today at the YMCA was entertaining to say the least.

No comments: