Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ask The Questions



We all have people in our lives that we wonder why they act the way they do. These people act in a way that may rub us the wrong way or leave us shaking our heads. I’ve known people like this and have several in my life now. As a child of God, we are called to love others just as they are. Some people are a whole lot easier to love then others. Every person has a story, and for those who leave us wondering why they act the way they do we may have to ask the question “What in this person’s past is making them act this way?”

Case in point, I have a co-worker that sits in the cubicle beside mind who seems to be over the top in her reactions. I have to admit, she can get on my nerves. She comes in the mornings shying like she is finally here after walking 50 miles; she clears her throat so loud it makes me jump from time to time if I’m not prepared for it; and she acts as if she is the only one who has to solve problems via the phone and/or e-mail. I have taken measures to avoid talking with her for the first year and half she worked here other than the normal formality stuff; I’m not proud of this.

One day, it dawn on me that I should ask the question, “What in this person’s past is making her act this way?” I know some of these traits can be just her personality, but some are due to something in her past. I took the time to talk with her and found out that the reason she started working at Dollar Tree was because after 8 years of marriage her husband no longer wanted to be married to her and left her with a 5 year old son to take care of. She was not anti-church but wasn’t attending a church because the way her home church reacted toward the divorce; not caring for her and/or not condemning him. Basically she was hurting and lonely, and her acting the way she does is her way of dealing with work, being a single mother, and all her life issues.

Knowing this has helped me love her more than I did before. Granted, she still can get on my nerves but I’m working on loving her as she is and one day I know she will be fully healed from her past; Lord willing.

If you have a person that just rubs you this way, ask the question and see what God reveals to you about this person that will help you love them as they are. Who knows what God can do through you to reach this person with His love?

No comments: