Sunday, August 09, 2009

Ten Years



On Friday, I received a large envelop from Dollar Tree Stores, Inc; the company I’ve been work for the last 10 years. Inside this envelop was a catalog of items I can choose from as my ten year anniversary gift for working at Dollar Tree. I’ve heard about this catalog from my director because he ordered a watch 6 months ago.
It’s hard to believe it’s been ten years. I remember how I got my foot in the door. The summer of 1999, I was working at Fellowship Baptist Church as an associate pastor (focused on music leading), and was work for a temp job service to supplement my salary with the church. I had a 3 month contact with Dollar Tree because a young lady was going on maternity leave. The job was working at the local distribution center’s traffic office. Because of the way my dad raised me, once I learned the job I was to do I started learning other jobs in the office. I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the work.
God knows what He was doing. The manager of the department was impressed by my go-getterness and work practices. Once the contract was completed, I was planning on going to the next job the temp service had for me. A week after the contract was complete, I was informed that the pastor of Fellowship Baptist Church was resigning and that the new pastor was bringing his own music guy; I was out of a job. As Teresa and I prayed about what to do, the manager of the traffic department called and informed me that his asst. manager was leaving and he wanted me for the job. My job title has changed three times, but I’ve been doing the same job for all the ten years and loving every minute of it.
God has used this job to give me money as I preach His word and work with different churches; some that were unable to pay me for what I do. God has made sure I’m paid through Dollar Tree. I’m not sure what God has planned with me and Dollar Tree in the near future but I do know what a blessing Dollar Tree has been to me and my family.
The coolest part about the gift chooses is the one I’m getting; a digital camera. I’ve been wanting to get one especially with the baby on the way. God provided a digital camera for us free of charge. Is that cool or what?

No comments: