Friday, August 21, 2009

Using Past Experiences to Help Others



Yesterday, Teresa found out that she has gestational diabetes. This has left Teresa shocked because there is no family history of diabetes. We talked it through last night but I have no idea how to encourage my wife. I’m praying for encouragement and peace for her. I can sympathize with her but I can’t empathize. I felt the Holy Spirit remind me of my sister this morning. Wanda (my sister) just had her baby this past Sunday and she had gestational diabetes. I called her up and asked her to call and talk with Teresa. Wanda can give Teresa advice and encouragement. Wanda can empathize with Teresa because Wanda has gone through the same thing Teresa is going through. Wanda can encourage Teresa in a way I’m not able to; Thank you God for Wanda.

In the book S.H.A.P.E.: Finding & Fulfilling Your Unique Purpose for Life, author Erik Rees says that God can and will use our shape (short for Spiritual gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, and Experiences) to bring Him glory. I’ve seen God use people’s past experiences to encourage and help their fellow brothers and sisters (in Christ). People who have gone through the same thing you are going through can empathize because they’ve been there. Where a person who hasn’t gone through the same ordeal can only sympathize, they really have no idea what you are going through.

My same sister’s first husband left her back in 2002 leaving her shocked. I spent days with her trying to encourage her and loving her, but I could only do so much. A lady in our church had gone through a similar ordeal with her husband 20 years earlier so she was able to help Wanda more than I because of her experience. The outcome for Wanda was different than Sue, but God received the glory for Sue’s experience. God either allows trials to enter our lives or put us in these trials to mold us to be usable vessels. I think we are to use these experiences to encourage one another. Doing this will bring glory to our God and Savior.

Because of my experiences with God, I know everything will work out to His glory. I am convinced that little baby Ripley will come full term and deliver as a healthy baby. I know that God will carry Teresa through her pregnancy. There is no doubt in my heart or my mind this will be all good. We will be able to use this experience one day to encourage others and to bring glory to God’s name.

Please remember Teresa and baby Ripley in your prayers. Thanks.

No comments: