Thursday, August 06, 2009

It Never Fails to Humble Me



No matter how many times I read about the crucifixion, I’m overwhelmed. I just finished reading the book of Mark and in chapter 15 I read how Jesus laid down His life for mankind; for me. I can never read this account (in any gospel) without tears building in my eyes. It always leaves me humbled.

Who am I that God would do this for me? I am nothing; no one. He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords and He reached out through time and lifted me up and made me an adopted son; wow! Because of our forefathers, we are born in sin and are separated from God. Because of His holiness, we can not be with Him in our sinful state. But because He is holy and just, He made a way for us to be reconnected to Him. It takes a blood payment. God the Father instructed the children of Israel to sacrifice sheep as a foreshadowing of what Jesus did. Jesus paid this sin debt so I can (we can) have a relationship with our Heavenly Father. I will never get over it.

After chapter 15 of Mark, came chapter 16 and the resurrection; Halleluiah! Mark doesn’t mention this but another gospel does; when the women came to see Jesus and He was gone, the angel told them he was gone “just as He told you He would be (my own words).” Jesus isn’t in the grave; He is alive with the keys of Death and Hell! He took the sting of Death away and He has freed us from the bond of sin.

Because of the crucifixion and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, we have life everlasting. If this doesn’t put a spring in your step, something is wrong. Jesus has set us free! As I write down my thoughts about this, a song pops in my head. “Your Love Is Amazing” is a great song for this since it’s a song of thanksgiving. Sing it with me;

“Your love is amazing, steady and unchanging
Your love is a mountain, firm beneath my feet
Your love is a mystery, how You gently lift me
When I am surrounded, Your love carries me

Chorus
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Your love makes me sing
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Your love makes me sing

Your love is surprising, I can feel it rising
All the joy that's growing deep inside of me
Every time I see You, all Your goodness shines through
And I can feel this God song, rising up in me

Bridge
Yes, You make me sing
Lord, You make me sing, sing, sing
How You make me sing”

No comments: