Wednesday, April 09, 2008

God Is Closer Than You Think


I finished reading “God Is Closer Than You Think” by John Ortberg. It was a good read. I’m leading the small group study based on this book. John Ortherg worked with Bill Hybels for 10 years and is now pastoring in CA. His insights are quite good.

I know that as a Christian, I know that God is always with us as the Holy Spirit. There are times, it’s great knowing that I’m never alone because He is with me. But there are still other times that I live like I’m alone but He is with me when I acting like I’m alone; He is with me when I’m walking through the sewer and mud. He sees and hears everything; the good and the bad.

In the book, there is a story about a little girl who loves to play in mud but her grandmother is trying to get her to stop it. The little girl asks her grandmother to look away so she can’t see her playing in the mud. The little girl thinks that as long as her grandmother can’t see her, it’s alright. We tend to do the same thing with God. We may not say it, but just before we sin we want God to look away so He doesn’t see what we are doing. It doesn’t work like that.

If you are like me, there are times I take God’s grace for granted. He is always faithful to forgive my short comings. I’m so unworthy of His love and grace, but so thankful for it.

No comments: