Wednesday, April 02, 2008


Mentoring


I read a really good blog today by Tally Wilgis on the subject of Mentoring. It was him talking about what mentors have done for him and how he is looking for one now as he prays about moving forward in the ministry God has laid on his heart. It was a great read because he laid his heart out on the table for all to see.

I saw the mentor I had from my teen years until on late 20’s on Sunday. Lynn and I e-mail one another and have seen each other off and on but not that much that last year because our schedules. Lynn was my pastor from age 14 to 29. He let a teenage boy hang out at the church’s office during the summers and help where I could. He gave me responsibilities that seem unusual because of my age. He allowed me to cut my teeth in ministry. When I failed we talked about how to get past it. I was one of many he mentored. I have no idea how many men are in ministry today because he walked beside them and mentored them. When we talk, I hear that he is still doing it today but with younger pastors. He is making sure that he can be available to help men in the ministry. Because I know he has a full plate, I’ve not tried to keep up with him except for an occasional e-mail.

I know the importance for mentoring. I’ve mentored several men and watched them grow. Since I know the importance of help others and making sure I’m available to them I’ve forgot to have a mentor for myself. That’s why Tally’s blog hit so hard in my heart. In order for me to grow beyond myself, I’ve been reading blogs of men who have planted churches and reading books to learn. I need to find a mentor that can walk beside me and meet with me face-to-face. Talking on the phone and e-mails are alright, but I love face-to-face meetings. Pray that God will send me a mentor that I can learn from.


No comments: