Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Community

This past weekend I created a Facebook account. It’s only been 4 days and I have over 20 “friends” on my account. Teresa saw this and created her own on Sunday and she has over 20 “friends” on hers. It’s a neat tool to get reconnected with people we know but have loss contact with and to meet new people. The other well known community based website “My Space” will take too much of my time to maintain but I have thought about creating an account there as well. I’ve been thinking about why these sites are so popular and I think it has to do with people wanting to feel that they belong to a community.

I watched a few weeks ago a show on MTV (yes I watch MTV from time to time) called “Real Life . . .” Each episode covers different subjects that affect people and how they handle it. This one followed 3 young ladies who all used the internet to make friends, date, and/or be part of a community but they were either uncomfortable or unwilling to do the same in real life situations. Teresa told me that the episode made her sad because these young women didn’t have much of a life other than their computer.

People are longing to be part of something. We all want to feel loved and appreciated. It saddens me that the church isn’t the place for that for people. The church has failed to be a community of people who love. Jesus tells us that the world will know that we are Christ-followers by the way we love. The church should be a community of people who love one another and the lost, encourage one another, hold each other account for our actions (good or bad), and equip each other to grow in our walk with Christ.

There is a movement out there of believers who are tired of the way church is run and are leaving. They aren’t leaving Christ but the church. There is no way for a believer to be healthy on there own without a community of like-minded people. Community is important to the health of us all. If you aren’t connected to a community of Christ-followers, I would suggest you get connected for your well being.

No comments: