Thursday, June 19, 2008


Iron Sharpening Iron

In the last 2 weeks, I’ve been seeing and talking with one of the men who attend the weekly men’s group I lead at the gym. This man has grown the last 2 years and I enjoy talking with him. He just started a new job at a nearby car dealership so he works out at the same place I do now. It’s nice talking with him in passing. I talked with him today about me meeting up with him at his place of business to talk. The dealership has a café for their employees and we will try to hook up next week.

I enjoy meeting with people and having either a meal or coffee with them. I enjoy the conversation and it’s a great chance to see who they are outside of church. These meetings allow them to see me outside of church as well. I’m who I am no matter where I go. What you see is what you get with me (good, bad, or indifferent), but some people think as a preacher we’re different than other people. Granted, most preachers are different but that’s not because they’re preachers; it’s just because they are weird ; - ).

Building this type of closeness with my men, allows me to sharpen them in their walk. As the Bible says, as iron sharpens iron brothers in the Lord are to sharpen each others walk (I’m paraphrasing it). Men are men, no matter what their background is. Most guys don’t like coming to church or the idea of church because they are afraid of being demanned (a made up word). It’s my mission to let the men God sends me know that Jesus was a man’s man when He was on Earth. I think talking with this guy in the middle of bench press sets or curls, he sees a regular guy who loves the Lord and cares for him and his family.

No comments: