Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Running and Finishing

On Saturday, 5/31 I ran in my first 5K Run. It was awesome. I did alright for my first run and being 38 years old; finished in 28 minutes and 38 second (averaging 9 min and 14 seconds per mile). As I ran through the park and neighborhood, I allowed my mind just wonder so I wouldn’t think too much about keeping my breathing in pace with my legs. As I looked around at the other runners and the people who lined the course, I thought about how similar it was to the Christian race.
There were all sorts of people running. Some were young and some older. Everyone had their own pace. Most of the people had the goal to just run and finish the race. The by-standers were yelling encouragements to the runners to keep running. I saw 2 teenage boys pass me and I thought about their pace and it wouldn’t hold up and sure enough I passed them walking to catch their breath.
The Christian race is not a sprint, but an endurance race. We are to set the pace early on so we can run the whole thing. As with the race on Saturday, it was alright to walk for awhile so you can get your breath and study your legs. I know that the by-standers yelling encouragements helped me keep my pace and I know that the “crowd of witnesses” that the Bible talks about helps me keep focused on my pace in the Christian race. To me, it wasn’t about trying to win on Saturday it was about finishing. As long as we finish strong or just finish the Christian race, we are winners.
How’s your pace in your race? You getting tired and weary? Just walk for a while and get your strength back and keep on keeping on.




No comments: