Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day

Today is Election Day and I voted for the people I feel can help our country the best. I waited for an hour to cast my vote. While standing the line holding my umbrella, I thought about my first election in 1988. I thought about the days leading to my 18th birthday. How I knew there were two things I wanted to do on my birthday; register for the draft and register to vote. After finishing school, I went to the post office and registered for the draft and then I went to the local library and filled out the voter registration form. In the family I grew up in, honoring our country is high up there second only to having a relationship with Jesus Christ and church attendance.

I can remember how proud my dad was when I showed him my temporary voter’s card and told him I registered for the draft. If it wasn’t for the fact God had called me into ministry at an early age and me heading off for Bible college right out of high school, I would have followed in my father’s and grandfather’s feet and join the military. We have a great country and many freedoms that other people long for.

As Christians in the U.S., we have the freedom to proclaim Christ anywhere we wish. We get tax write offs for obeying God and giving back a portion of our income to the church. I think we either don’t think or don’t care about how our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are treated in other countries because we have it so good here in the U.S. The freedoms we have are because of the sacrifice of our forefathers and the men and women in our armed forces.

While driving into work after voting, I thanked God for the blessings He has given me and to our country. I prayed for His will be done with the outcome of today’s vote. Remember, God is the One who puts the leaders in their place of authority so God will put who He has planned in the oval office; good, bad, or indifferent. If you haven’t voted yet and are registered, go vote.

No comments: