Sunday, November 02, 2008

Halloween Everyday

Friday was Halloween and this is the day people like to dress up and be someone or something different. I read somewhere that Halloween is the only day of the year people can be someone they want to be. Children dress up in who or what they dream to be (i.e. policeman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.). For some, Halloween is everyday because they always wear a mask.

In ancient Greece, the actors in the theaters held a pole that carried an enormous papier-mâché mask. These masks were always a caricature – an overdone, generalized, or idealized portrayal. We use the word hypocrite for those people who are not real. This word literally means one who wears a mask. People want to be accepted so they feel they can’t show who they really are to others. To be accepted, some people wear:

The “happy” mask
The “I’m very together” mask
The “I don’t care” mask
The “I’m the expert” mask
The “I have the answers” mask or
The “I am cool” mask

The world doesn’t have the monopoly on thinking they need to wear a mask to be accepted. We have church members who are living hell on earth and when asked by someone how they are doing, their reply is, “Fine, I’m just fine.” The word fine is Feelings Internalized Not Expressed. Church should be the one place, hurting people should know they can be who they truly are and know they will be accepted. The men in the men’s group I lead know that when I ask how they are, the word “fine” will not be accepted. The first 15 minutes of our time is laid aside so in depth discussions can take place in a safe environment.

Church should be a safe-haven for people to leave the masks off and be who they are. It’s scary but the body of Christ should be the one group you can be yourself.

No comments: