Monday, November 24, 2008

Sunday’s Report

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to preach at Living Proof Baptist Church in Williamsburg, VA. Teresa and I had a good time with this church. I wanted share what God did through us. The main goal I set for this adventure was one, bring honor to God and two, encourage the members of this church.

Let me share a little history about this church before I share our adventure story. LPBC was started in 2001. The church has been meeting in a former Christian school for the last 2 years (I believe they own the property). The founding pastor needed a rest from ministry due the health issues of his wife. They moved to be with his sending church in FL in October. LPBC has been without a pastor for a month, but have been developing a search for a new pastor. The founding pastor left this body very healthy and well equipped to reach their community. The leadership loves the Lord and is very capable men.

Living Proof is 50 miles from our house (in Portsmouth) and according to TomTom the trip took us 56 minutes. We arrived at 10:40 and were greeted by a sweet young lady holding a 3 month old baby who did nothing but smile (very cute). The young lady showed us to the sanctuary (a gym) and we talked with her until their Sunday School glasses let out. She handed us over to Delon; the media guy and the one I’ve traded e-mails with. After getting the Power Point and video ready, I talked with members who came up to us. This church was very warm and friendly (even before they knew who I was and better yet even after they met me).

I preached on “What is Truth?” using John 14:6 ("I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”). I preached for 45 minutes, and had two men come down and prayer at the foot of the stage. I was told later that one of the church’s small groups has been studying this very subject and that the leader was impressed how I dealt with the subject so thoroughly in a short about of time.

Teresa and I were taken out for lunch by Mr. and Mrs. Curtis at Second Street Bistro (if you are ever in Williamsburg check this place out). We had good food and great fellowship. Mr. Curtis is retired from TWA Airlines and moved here from Las Vegas (after living there for over 25 years) and enjoys history. We had a good time talking history and other things. We had a great time and I feel God was honored and the church body was encouraged.

I let the church’s leadership know if they needed me again, I’d love to return. I shared this with Don Cockes (SBCV Church Enrichment Missionary). Please keep Living Proof Baptist Church in your prayers. They are looking for an Interim Pastor for now but would like a pastor in place within a year.

No comments: