Thursday, November 13, 2008

God's Man



I just talked with a young man who God has given me the honor to mentor over the last 7 years. In order for you to understand the excitement I have in writing about our conversation, I want to give a little background.

Rick and his wife were in the Navy (he still is) when they came to Point Harbor Community Church in 2000. Both were not saved and just married with a child on the way so they wanted to check out the church. Shortly after, they got saved. Rick jumped in with the sports ministry and helped me with the men’s ministry. He was young and eager to learn. While I walked with him and encouraged him to read his Bible, I saw that God wanted to use him more. Rick started helping the youth pastor the last year before he was transferred. Satan tried to discourage him through some of the members of the church but I lifted him up and encouraged him.

God moved Rick to Spain to do security for a Navy base there for 2 years. His wife and now 3 kids could not come because the youngest son had health issues. I knew Satan would target Rick being so far away from home and his family. I prayed for him and sent him care packages (music CDs, cookies, youth ministry books, etc.). He told me that he started working with the youth whose parents were stationed at the base. God was blessing the ministry. A year in his time in Spain, I sensed something wrong and saw on his MySpace page he listed his status as single (instead of married). I questioned him about it and he was planning on ending his marriage because of non-Biblical reasons. I held him accountable (with love) and told him he was wrong and needed to get back with his wife. It was tough but he did it and now they are strong in their marriage and both serving the Lord in Jacksonville, FL. Rick is now a small arms instructor at a nearby base.

Now back the conversation we had; Rick as been asked to be a youth pastor of a small church near Jacksonville. He can do his Navy job and minister with the teens. He and his wife are excited about this possibility. I’m excited to see God doing His thing with this now 32 year old man who I’ve had the honor of knowing and seeing grow. Keep Rick and Kristine in your prayers (and their 3 children). May God use Rick greatly in this new direction.

No comments: