Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Question

I love being bi-vocational because I feel that God is using me here at Dollar Tree. A co-worker sent me a cool question about sometime about a Futurama episode and the theme of it. Below is the theme from the website “Wikipedia” and it’s write up regarding “Hell Is Other Roberts” and my answer.

Wikipedia:

“This episode is one of very few that focuses on the religious aspects of the Futurama universe. In most episodes, it is indicated that the Planet Express crew, along with most beings in the year 3000, are "remarkably unreligious". It introduces two of the three religious figures of Futurama, The Robot Devil and Reverend Lionel Preacherbot, both of whom make appearances in future episodes. Preacherbot, who speaks in a manner typical of inner-city African-American pastor stereotypes, converts Bender to the religion Robotology. This leads to a series of events that are similar in many ways to the experiences of real world religious converts. Mark Pinsky states that the episode has a "double-edged portrayal of religion" as it portrays both an improvement in Bender's character but also some of the "less pleasant characteristics of the newly pious". The Robot Devil is introduced after Bender's fall back into sin. While explaining to Bender his claim on his soul, he uses logic similar to that used by many Southern Baptists. By the end of the episode Bender has returned to his old ways and states that he will no longer try to be either too good or too bad, a parody and contradiction of the Book of Revelation statement that one should not be lukewarm in their faith.”


My reply to my co-worker:

Wow, my first thought is that Rich has too much time on his hands and he thinks to hard ; - ). Just kidding. I will try to explain (in a nutshell) what I think the Robot Devil tells Bender. I’ll have Bible passages accompanying my answer because I don’t want you to think I’m giving the SBC bylines, but I’m giving you what scripture says. First of all, I can’t remember what he told Bender in the episode (I just remember him when Fry got new hands to play an instrument to win Leela’s heart) but by reading the “Theme” section, below is my answer.

“While explaining to Bender his claim on his soul, he uses logic similar to that used by many Southern Baptists.” – According to Romans 5:12 (“Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned (NASV)”) when Adam sinned against God, mankind stopped being the children of God and became “children of wraith.” Because of this sin, God kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden and because of this sin a great separation occurred.

Even though we (mankind) no longer are God’s children, He made a way for us to reconnect with Him. This way is (as you) Jesus Christ. John 3:16 ("For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.(NASV)”) shows us if a person accepts Jesus to be Lord of his life he has eternal salvation. I know you know that Futurama is a cartoon and robots don’t have souls but the whole idea of Bender finding “Religion” and then going back to how he was before and the Devil still has ownership of his soul alludes to the idea that salvation isn’t forever and that you can loss it. I can give you a ton of scripture passages that affirm that salvation is forever and that you can not loss it; John 3:16 is just one.

Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ and not a “religion.” The key word for religion is “DO”; what must I “DO” to earn salvation, enlightenment, and/or heaven. The key word for Christianity is “DONE”; what Jesus has “DONE” on the cross satisfies the payment for eternal life and there is nothing we can do to earn it other than accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior.

I can go on and one but I hope I answered your question. I’m always available if you and/or Rich want to talk further. I love doing coffee and talking if you want to after work sometime soon; Rich, you, and me.

No comments: